Bulletproof Coffee is one delicious answer to the all important question – how do I start my morning as healthily and as efficiently as possible?
Mornings for me consist of early wake-ups, a bit of meditation, and a few yoga poses if I can squeeze them in before the kids wake up. And then — it’s all ON! Getting the family organised for the day and out the door on time takes a lot of planning and well executed manoeuvres. Often I end up out the door without any thought of breakfast for myself.
Until recently, my go-to had been a smoothie. But with winter in full swing, the last thing I was hankering for was a cold drink to get me going. I’ve also been toying with introducing some ketogenic principles into my diet and reading up on intermittent fasting (still so much to research here…) So, when I came across the Bulletproof way of making coffee, it was like all of my breakfast prayers had been answered at once!
It’s a warming, creamy drink that not only wakes you up but also boosts your brain function and nutrient levels for the day. I have one per day for breakfast and it keeps me totally satiated right through until lunch time, eliminating mid-morning crashes and unhealthy cravings. I’ve also been feeling a whole lot less bloated and lighter overall, it’s just the pick-me-up my mornings were needing!
The Bulletproof recipe works like no other coffee because it suppresses hunger, provides slow releasing energy and provides mental clarity. The coffee itself is also free of mycotoxins and other nasties such as pesticides and processing chemicals. Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil balances your hunger hormones to keep you full, while the saturated fat in unsalted butter slows the absorption of caffeine. This means you get a steady flow of energy for several hours, rather than a quick spike and crash.
Brain Octane also rapidly converts to ketones, something your brain uses way more efficiently than carbs or sugar. Here’s how to make your own brain-boosting Bulletproof Coffee to jet-propel you through the day!
How to make the perfect Bulletproof Coffee:
- Brew 1 cup (8-12 ounces) of coffee with 2 ½ heaped teaspoons of freshly ground Bulletproof Coffee and filtered water. I like to use a Chemex, but whatever you’ve got to brew coffee in will work just fine.
- Add 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil. It can be a little overpowering if your system isn’t used to it, so start with 1 teaspoon per cup. You can work your way up to 1-2 tablespoons over a few days.
- This part might seem a little odd, but hear me out! Add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter or grass-fed ghee. It makes the coffee deliciously creamy and adds extra protein and nutrients. Just make sure it’s totally unsalted, because salty coffee first thing in the morning is definitely a no-go!
- I also like to add a teaspoon of Nutra Organics Collagen Beauty Powder for an extra nutrient boost. It helps keep my skin healthy and my brain whirring. If you’re a bit of a chocoholic (and I definitely fall into that category too), pop in a spoon of raw cacao and a drop of peppermint oil too. Peppermint mocha — Yum!
- Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it looks like a foamy latte and savour the flavour.
TOP TIP: If caffeine isn’t your jam, try out Bulletproof Coffee Swiss Water Decaf. It’s just as scrumptious but a little less intense.